Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Portfolio, Portfolio, Portfolio

It's more important than where you went to school or who you last worked for. It's also the word I dread most about resume call-backs(*).
I alluded to this last time, and it still rings true: "[You're] nobody in web design/development without some kind of portfolio."

This morning, I was pleasantly surprised to get a call in response to one of yesterday's FaFs. I did happen to throw in a quick 'n dirty cover letter this time, so maybe that had something to do with helping my odds. It was the consulting/staffing firm (one that rhymes with "Bobert Calf") who listed the position. I've gotten pretty used to the routine of talking up my strengths and such on these types of interactions. I've even found out how to help explain/BS my way around the ~2yr employment gap (more on that in a future post), but I don't have a good recovery when they come at me with the P-word. The best I can come up with is the honest truth, that most of my work is embedded/scattered across the site's of a former employer.

He's still persistent about having a look at something, so I placate him with the tale of gathering up some links to my past work. We then end the call with usual pleasantries and he sends me an email still hoping to see a portfolio. This leaves me having to come up with links that I can barely remember to pages and web-tools that in all likely-hood no longer exist.


*Thankfully, I have been getting more call-backs lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment